The 2014 Summer Intern Symposium at the NOAA IRC at Ford Island, Honolulu, Hawaii, now has a video, thanks to videographer Jessica Guillermo. Please check it out at the following url:
|AGENDA — 2014 NOAA Summer Intern Symposium at the Inouye Regional Center Auditorium|
|1845 Wasp Boulevard, Ford Island, Honolulu, Hawaii 96818|
|Tuesday, 22 July, 2014, 10:00AM – 4:00PM|
|Name||Home School||NOAA Affiliation||Mentor(s)||Project Title|
|Christina Wine||University of Hawaii at Hilo, Marine Science||NMFS, PYSO||T. Todd Jones||Energy Flow Through Biological Systems 1|
|Olivia Hughes||Washington College, Biology||NMFS, NCCOS||T. Todd Jones||Energy Flow Through Biological Systems 2|
|Teresa Withee||Bowdoin College, Economics||NOS, Hollings||Emily Gaskin||The Value of Economics: Assessing Coastal Blue Carbon in the Hawaiian Islands|
|Alissa Phillips||University of Akron, Biology||OAR, Hollings||Aidan Colton, John Barnes||Mauna Loa Observatory and Climate Change|
|Charline Quenee||University of Miami, Biology & Marine Science||NOS, Hollings||Allen Tom, Guerin Earhart, Emily Smail||Public Perception of Marine Issues and Education Strategies at the Waikiki Aquarium|
|Jacob Tepper||Oregon State University, Marine Biology||NOS, Hollings||Randall Kosaki, Daniel Wagner||A Comparison Of Macrobenthic Organisms In Shallow-water And Mesophotic Coral Reef Ecosystems Of The Northwestern Hawaiian Islands.|
|Lyndsey King||Coastal Carolina University, Marine Science||NMFS, Hollings||Robert Humphreys, Edward DeMartini||Body Lengths at Median Reproductive Maturity for Two Commercially Valuable Reef Fish Species|
|Thomas Vaughan||East Carolina University, Atmospheric Science||NWS/OMAO, Hollings||G. Carl Noblitt IV, Rashed Chowdhury||Seasonal Rainfall Variability and Forecasts for the Hawaiian Islands|
|Jeppe Stig-Nielsen||University of Wisconsin-Madison, Economics||NMFS, PYSO||Kolter Kalberg, Dawn Kotowicz||The Supply Chain Risk Management of Wholesale Fish Buying in Response to a Fishery Closure.|
|Nadia Tenouri||University of South Florida, Marine/Biological Conservation||NMFS, Hollings||David Itano||Fish Forever|
|Alice Chapman||Williams College, Chemistry & Geosciences||NMFS, PYSO||Bernardo Vargas-Angel, Paula Misa||Processing of Calcification Accretion Units Retrieved from 2013 NWHI RAMP Cruise|
|Heidi Hansen||University of California Berkeley, Marine Science||NMFS, PYSO||Reka Domokos||The Deep Seven: Improved Identification of Bottomfish Using Active Acoustics|
|Taylor Heckman||Willamette University, Biology||NMFS||Angie Kaufman||Hawaiian Monk Seal Health and Disease Program|
|Alexander Fontes||Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, Information Technology||NOS, Hollings||Robert O’Conner||Geospatial Data Librarian|
|Michino Hisabayashi||Clark University, Geography||NOS, Marsh-Mosakowski Fellowship||Douglas Harper, Robert O’Conner||NOAA’s Sentinel Site Program and Habitat Blueprint – from observation to stewardshiptial|
|Jessica Lillquist||Smith College, Environmental Science & Policy||NOS, NCCOS (Agnes Shedd Andrae Fellowship)||Douglas Harper||NOAA’s Sentinel Site Program, Hawaii Cooperative: Climate change – from observation to stewardship|
|Anna Campbell||Smith College, Biodiversity, Ecology and Conservation||NOS, Hollings||Douglas Harper, Eloise Lee, Michael Pai||Digital Storytelling for the Environment|
For the overall event that day we thank the following:
• Presenters for their excellent presentations, and mentoring staff for allowing their interns to participate and preparing a few words to say following each talk.
• Jeff Hare, Mark Merrifield, and UHM JIMAR for sponsoring the PYSO program and for flying in one presenter from the Big Island.
• PYSO Committee and Oversight Group for support: Donald Kobayashi, Bernardo Vargas-Angel, Russell Watkins, Michael Parke, Dawn Kotowicz, Melanie Abecassis, Darryl Tagami, Huihua Lee, Erin Oleson, Maire Cahoon, Susan Kamei, Jeff Hare, Kevin Higaki.
• Donald Kobayashi for recruiting presenters, creating agenda, providing badges & snacks, and organizing the symposium.
• Jeff Hare for his opening JIMAR comments.
• Keoni Kuoha and his NOS PMNM team for performing the oli wehena “Puka Mai ka Lā i Kumukahi”.
• Deborah Yamaguchi for making our flyers and poster.
• Patty Miller for auditorium reservation, loan of easel, and other logistical support.
• Maire Cahoon for designing and making the name tags for presenters.
• PIFSC HALEA and Seminar Committee for providing the coffee and tea.
• Lucy Kaneshiro and PSD for loaning their cart.
• Shandell Brunson, Ed DeMartini, Erin Oleson, and Matthew Vandersande for moderating sessions.
• Wayde Higuchi for lending his personal camcorder for us to make a symposium video.
• Huihua Lee and Maire Cahoon for videoing the symposium.
• Evan Howell, Leonora Fukuda, Ron Yoshimoto for IT assist.
• Chad Sugimoto for setting up the WebEX session.
• Melanie Abecassis for compiling PowerPoints, overseeing presentation laptop, and other AV logistics.
• Matthew Vandersande and HuiHua Lee for Q&A microphone duty.
• Laila Siaris for expediting the access permits for off-site visitors and FN clearance.
• Steve Gallagher for advertising our event IRC-wide.
• PIFSC division chiefs and other supervisors for allowing their staff to participate.
• Sam Pooley for his opening and closing PIFSC comments and for staying all day!